News Flash!
  • COMPETITION TIME!.......WIN a FREE Sonus Bluetooth hands free/MP3 player
  • CHANGE TO MEMBERS CARS SECTION. Please see Latest News
RoryK

Rory K's 1994 Toyota Soarer

Hi all, I am Rory and this is my 1994 Toyota Soarer which is theĀ 3.0 2JZ Naturally aspirated AutomaticĀ (WasĀ badged as a Lexus for some reason but registered in the log book as a Toyota?Ā šŸ™ƒ)

I originally purchased this car roughly 2 years agoĀ for a grand total of Ā£400, it had a blown radiator, bad paintwork and it hadn't been run for sometime.. this is all I knew about it but I took the punt and had it delivered from merry old Scotland.

19956859_703889616477678_661865511835109

So this is how it turned up... a 'black on black' interioredĀ 1994 Lexus badgedĀ Toyota Soarer, the paintwork is supposed to be 202 Onyx blackĀ but it's had a bad respray at some point and the lacquer layer had reacted to what looked like some rather vengeful keying... + the following list of 'Minor' issues:

• Boot literally full of stale water that was spilling over the brim of the boot lid itself
  • Seized front and rearĀ brakes
  • Rotten exhaust which is blowing in multiple places
  • Cracked windscreen
  • 4 flat bald tyres
  • Blown radiator + collapsed hoses
  • Smashed passenger window
  • Broken passenger door lock mechanism
  • Dead battery
  • Dead alternator
  • Missing Aux belt
  • My very own mushroom patch on the back seats
  • Cheap 'Fast car' style front and rear lights
  • It's Naturally aspirated
  • It's AutomaticĀ šŸ¤­
  • Covered in Mould, bird shit and dirt

So it's at this point my friends and family thought I was completely mad to take on a car that is clearly destined to the Scrapyard in the sky, or rather be broken and sold for parts as keeping in mind I am also restoring a MK1 Eunos Roadster and at the time I also had just finished a Nissan 200sx s14a project and also a BMW E46 330CI track car which are sadly now long gone.

My Mazda Eunos roadster project can be seen here if anyone is looking to burn an hour or so as this is still very much alive:Ā https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst85443_RoryK-s-mk1-Eunos-Build.aspx

Anyway back to the Soarer..Ā it sat on my driveway for roughly 6 months in which time I fitted a new passenger door glass and fixed the door lock mechanism to make it water tight and more accessible! I also fitted a new radiator andĀ new battery, aux belt and second hand alternator fromĀ a GS300 which soon had the oldĀ 2JZ ticking over with an exhaust that had more holes than a sieve makingĀ enough noise to tell everyone the next block over that it has an awesome straight 6 Japanese engine insideĀ šŸ˜„

With the above done the old girl deserved a clean and this is how she ended up:

19884154_703893343143972_175707521741844

So from here a few things took over, like moving home and starting a family and I just did not have the time or funds to support all the mentioned + my MK1 restoration so the Soarer sadly had to go, I sold it to my friends over at Garage D who were going to break it and sell it for parts.... fast forward a year and I find out that my Soarer was still in one piece so I snapped up the offer to buy it back!

A sketchy drive home (Trade plates), smoke pouring out of both arches (Brakes all still seized), mushroom patch in the back seats very much alive and kicking againĀ and the dash lights flickering away (Alternator is once again dead) I got the old girl home and on the driveway! also IĀ pulled the spare wheel well plugs out to let the small tsunami in the boot drain out and found the source of the water leak which turned out to beĀ the rear spoiler thatĀ I think had been removed for painting and not replaced properly with the rubber washers at some point in its life...

I sold the cheapo lights and sourced original front head lights and year correct rear lights, the rear Lexus badge was also removed because it's not a Lexus and I gave the car a much needed clean and quick polish

20190318_124500_zps6oc44u8s.jpg

20190319_154317_zpstzmbj3q9.jpg

I'm slowly going to work my way through the obvious bits and get an MoT for it before cracking on with much bigger plans!Ā (Turbo conversion for NA+T and Manual Conversion), right now I am working on making it look a little nicer for my neighbours and missus's sake and to keep costs down I am teaching myself how to vinyl wrap and prep body work, no funny colour changes here I am afraid, it's staying gloss blackĀ 

And that's it for now... much more to come soonĀ šŸ˜‰

Edited by RoryK
  • Like 3

Brilliant results thus far RoryĀ šŸ˜„Ā  I had a giggle when you bought the same heap twice....I too have done this in the past ....lol

I always had a liking for big engine cars so I'll be following your progress with pleasure.

Must have a look at your MX-5 build.

BTW Welcome aboard

Ā 

• Like 1

Gotta love a soarer! Been down the same road as you too Rory in selling a car i loved only to buy it back again (3 months later)!

Looking forward to following this one and your mx5 build

• Like 1

Nice! Like it lots, and fair play for going back to the car to finish the rescueĀ šŸ˜Ž

• Like 2

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and I am glad you guys are enjoying it so far! I do have some more updates coming soon which I think you guys will enjoy :)

Edited by RoryK
  • Like 2