News Flash!
  • COMPETITION TIME!.......WIN a FREE Sonus Bluetooth hands free/MP3 player
  • CHANGE TO MEMBERS CARS SECTION. Please see Latest News
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Blast from the past

Had a surprise visit from one of my old mates yesterday whom i havent seen for a few years. We keep in touch on the phone, but havent met up for ages.

Tam arrived in his 1972 Mk3 Ford Cortina 2.0XL! Not seen one of these for years!!! It was through these cortinas we actually met all those years ago. He was the man to go to for all things mk3. Was nice to catch up, and seeing his Cortina (in stunning Seat metallic turquoise/blue with a white roof) in my drive had me hankering for a mk3 again lol. Been a very long time since i saw a mk3 parked there!!

He also showed me pics of his 1958 Ford Consul which has only done a genuine 17.000 miles from new. Looking forward to seeing that one in the metal. Only got one pic of his cortina as he was leaving to go home, but was dark by then so not the best pc. Will post it up later.

Also git some more work on Mindy done with stripping the tombstone seats we bought for her. We removed all the seat covers etc ready to refurb the seats. More on this later (and dont worry, Gayle did most of the work stripping the seats, i just helped!  Lol

Good day yesterday!

• Like 1

Was a time when all I knew was Cortina's....they were easy to work on and they were pretty reliable back in the Day.

Would be good to see Tam's car on here.

I recently met an old boy who had a rough daily Cortina Mk3,  it was solid but the engine was slightly smokie on start up.

It was a 2 door 2.0 XL (rare)....I've only come across 2 door GT'S.....the guy told me he had refused £50,000.......he had the ability to dream whilst awake....lol

Looking forward to seeing your newly upholstered Mindy :)

7 hours ago, Gel said:

Was a time when all I knew was Cortina's....they were easy to work on and they were pretty reliable back in the Day.

Would be good to see Tam's car on here.

I recently met an old boy who had a rough daily Cortina Mk3,  it was solid but the engine was slightly smokie on start up.

It was a 2 door 2.0 XL (rare)....I've only come across 2 door GT'S.....the guy told me he had refused £50,000.......he had the ability to dream whilst awake....lol

Looking forward to seeing your newly upholstered Mindy :)

Lol yeah 50 grand would deffo need to be a dream! 😁 Ive seen 2 door base models, XL's & GT's too (almost bought a fern green metallic XL 2 door back in the late 80's from a scrappy!).

I loved the old Pinto engines, sooooo easy to work on and upgrade. Was funny seeing the engine bay of my mates mk3, all that space to work in!!!! Mechanics dream! I'll see if Tam wants to join up, although he doesnt have a modern classic car (daily drive is a Peugeot 406 hdi) but would be sweet to see his classics in here!

• Like 1

I honestly can't remember ever seeing a 2 door Mk3 Cortina in rural Ireland,  that's not saying they didn't exist though. 

I never upgraded a Pinto engine per se but I do remember a friend fitting new springs and Koni adjustables to his 2.0 GXL.....what a transformation.

I used to deal in ropey Mk3's from Auction (especially cars that had very noisy camshafts or leaky stem seals).  replacing rear axle compliant bushes and front wishbone bushes was the order of the Day back then.....,was dirty hard work but always worth the effort.

Dave,  I'd be over the Moon if Tam were to join us .....remember rules are meant to be broken....lol

• Haha 1

not sure how computer savvy he is, will ask him next time i call him mate. Oh yes, remember them "compliance" bushes all to well, otherwise known as "Void bushes"! They were a nightmare and guaranteed to be gubbed at every mot! Think those were the achiles heel of the Cortinas!

I'll need to find the pic of my other mates (although not seen him since the early 00's) mk3 cortinas. He had a black 1.3 base model, customized it with white 8 spoke Weller steel wheels, 4 spot lights, rear window louvre, boot spoiler, front spoiler and a massive bonnet bulge i the shape of a bullet (which he painted red! Oh, also had mirrored windows, bucket seats, wee tiny steering wheel and the frilly tassles from his grannys sofa all the way around the top of the windows/headlining! lol I thought that car was the bees knees back in the day! He progressed onto the red mk3 2000E, a car I fell in love with! Really need to dig out photos of them!!

After much searching on my laptop, found the offending photos! I'm actually in the photo of the black mk3 cortina....don't laugh, it was the 80's after all!!!! lol

me on alexs black mk3.jpgalex red 2000E.jpg

Loved both these Cortinas! lol Red one was originally a 2.0 litre auto which we converted to manual. Was in stunning condition under all the spotlights and stuff!

• Like 1

Ya caught me having a senior moment.....couldn't think of "void" and then replaced it with "compliant" .....lol

I like the black one with the 4 big spots best,  if the red 2000E didn't have the Louvre then that's the one I'd prefer.

I never did see a MK3 with split bumpers before.....looks exactly what I would of fancied back in the Day.

Did you ever use Lucas H4 headlights instead of the early seal beams ?

• Like 1

Yes! God id forgot about the old sealed beams! Amazing how you forget how some things have progressed eh! Those sealed beams were a pig more light out of a nun walking 50 paces in front of your car with a candle! Think thats also why so many cars in the 70's and 80's ended up plastered in spotlights!

• Haha 1