News Flash!
  • Future Classic Cars
  • for all modern classic cars from the 80's onwards
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Mk1 Mazda MX5 (aka Mindy!)

some recent photos.

Decided that it was time to source and replace the osr tail light on Mindy. It's had a scuff mark on it since we bought her, and try as I might I couldn't get it off. So found a replacement set of tail lights on Facebook from a Guy called Ric. Went through to pick them up and turns out he also has a red UK MK1 just like Mindy! Had to take a photo of Mindy and her new playmate!

rics-mx5.jpg

Better pic of Rics MX5

rics-mx5 2.jpg

Interior has everything I want to do to Mindy (and some of the stuff I've already done! Even the same stainless kick plates.!

rics-mx5-3.jpg

So got the new light fitted and decided that even though I'd been told not to do too much manual work by my cardio nurse, it was time to give Mindy a proper detailing!. Washed, dried and then the following

• Meguires Clay barred
  • G£ paint restorer (machine buffed)
  • Autoglym super resin polish (machine buff)
  • Autoglym extra High gloss finisher (machine buff)
  • Meguires wax (hand buffed)
  • Wheels cleaned then polished, followed by Autoglym silicon wheel sealer.
  • Tyres dressed with Autoglym tyre dressing
  • Glass cleaned with Autoglym glass cleaner.
  • Windscreen treated with RainX

Really pleased with the results, although took me the whole day due to my current health status!! Her paint really pops when the sun hits it now, and looks really deep. Still going to give her a full respray though as the paint still isn't as perfect as I'd like it to be. Also need to repaint the sills soon as they are letting the look down. Hoping to get done before I return to work.

1detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg2detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg3detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg4detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg

Next, something arrived that I had ordered ages ago! Wood dash trim kit. Had issues as the first one that arrived was way to dark and would have looked wrong so that had to be sent back to supplier then had to wait on a replacement. This matched better, so got to work and got it fitted. Really happy now! Lifts the drab black interior I think and also makes the steering wheel blend in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. Still to get the chrome surrounds for the heater vents but will add them later. Also still planning a custom radio install.

1wood-dash-trim-mx5.jpg2wood-dash-trim-mx5.jpg

Hope you like!

Another thing that has bugged me about the mx5 is more of a technical one. The amount of times I've parked her somewhere and returned to find I'd left the sidelights on was getting beyond a joke! Only a matter of time before I returned to a flat battery, so decided to retro fit a lights on warning buzzer! Got a little video below of it working. The buzzer is an annoying tone, but it does it's job as you want to turn the lights off as quickly as possible to shut it up! Works when you open the door if you've left the lights on.

• Like 1

Mighty how sourcing a tail light led to Mindy meeting a potential play mate for life 😎

The "lights on warning" box of tricks is a worthwhile practical addition .....we could all be doing with such a device.

BTW  there's an excellent article titled "MX-5 verus the rest" in the May edition of Practical Motorist magazine.

Dave,  it looks like you're onto a definite winner.

• Like 1

Cruising in Mindy is a consummation devoutly to be wished........can't think of better therapy for someone recovering from a serious health issue. 

• Like 1

Have to agree Gerry. I can be feeling totally crap (Gayle too) but if we go for a run in Mindy, the smiles are there the second we're out of the garage! Nothing like cruising along the country lanes, sun beating down, roof down.

Cruising round London is an offence....lol.... so I'll not be cruising anytime soon.

Fingers crossed the rain lets up for the weekend.

• Like 1

Lol yes, London cruising is a bit different!! 

Weather kinda held up for the weekend ( slight rain along with sunshine) but we had another job to do.......dismantle our old wooden shed and build our new plastic one! Old shed was rotten beyond belief, but still took a hella load of work to actually bring down. Plus we had to empty it first and remove all the metal shelving! Tons of junk! Building the new one took a lot longer than expected.......holes not drilled in right places from factory, too many of one screw type and not enough of the other and the most difficult to fit roof we've ever come across. Started at 10:30am,  we finally finished at 8:30pm. Both aching from head to toe, totally knackered. We both admitted we'd done too much, so much heavy lifting etc which we're paying for today! Still, Gayle had some genius ideas about taking down the old shed which were amazing, and she said I'd done really well too considering my current health.  

Now got a load of junk to take to tip so no run this weekend for Mindy. Oh, and I'm starting back to work on Thursday! Well chuffed finally getting back to normal! 

If demolishing a shed and building another isn't hard work....I'll be a Dutchman.

Definitely sounds like you're ready for "back to work".....if nothing else it'll keep you away from heavy manual labour 😝

So which car are you going to use to ferry the old shed sections ?....lol...lol...lol

• Haha 1

That'll be a special uplift from the council! No way are we gonna try and squeeze that into the cars! Lol too many nails/crumbly messy rotten wood to risk putting it in the cars Gerry😀 

He he  I never thought you'd abuse your cars with a damp old shed.....great to have a decent Council service.

• Haha 1

So, just a wee job done today! In the boot on the left side there is a metal panel that protects the fuel filler pipe. This is an unpainted panel, and as such has no paint to protect it so they rust. It's covered by carpet so nobody really bothers about it but you know me, it was bugging me where you could see it through the carpet.

Off it came to get prepped. Sanded it done and treated any rusty bits.

Sanded down

20190522_132217boot tidied up mx5.jpg

rust treated and then 3 coats of primer

20190522_133101boot tidied up mx5.jpg

Then 3 coats of red and refitted to the car. This was before I put the carpet back in place. Just think it looks neater.

20190522_135628boot tidied up mx5.jpg

Oh, and a wee photo of Mindy and my Aerodeck (DD)

20190529_090224boot tidied up mx5.jpg

MOT is now out so she will be getting booked in for this Wednesday.....fingers crossed!

Good preventable work that 😎......I see from our sister Site that Mindy sailed through her MOT.....was there ever any doubt....lol

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 11:50 AM, Gel said:

Good preventable work that 😎......I see from our sister Site that Mindy sailed through her MOT.....was there ever any doubt....lol

lol meant to update this! Yes, was so glad! The MOT guy at my local garage said she is in good shape, only thing to note was a very slight oil leak which I already knew about but haven't been able to trace yet. Very happy bunny!

In other news though, since her MOT she has developed a little fault! Had her out for a quick spin a week ago and noticed that anything below 2000rpm and try to accelerate and there's a slight kinda hicup, like she's missing a bit?  Tried giving her an "Itallian tune up" incase it was maybe just blocked jets or something which didn't initially clear the fault but I was out in her just before going on hols last week ans she drove fine. Going to take her for a spin tomorrow to see if the fault is gone or not. If still there, will check the plugs, see if any are looking dirty compared to others as I'm thinking possibly coil packs starting to go? Will try new plugs/leads and then take it from there. She's fine higher up the revs so just seems to be low revs under load.

Also on arriving back from hols posty has deleivered a new bit I ordered for her to kinda custom her interior a bit......all will be received soon! B|

Hi Gerry!  Seems the slight missfire under load at around 2000rpm and below continues! Have ordered an OBD (1) reader to see if that can trace the fault but in the meantime thought I'd check then replace her spark plugs. Got nice new ones as I couldn't see any mention of them being changed in her history.

20190626_180145Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

Got the first three fitted without any issues (old ones looked really discoloured although only one seemed to be burning wrong.) but the last one (typically the one against the bulkhead so hardest to get at) when taking the plug lead off, the rubber end came off and is stuck to the plug away down inside the hole. meaning I can't get the socket onto the plug to get it out! Was going to be replacing the leads too, so with this one doing that seems a good idea to bin the old ones. I've added some photos below of the problem rubber.

How the lead should look:

20190626_175604Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

The big rubber bit on the end that seals around the plug is the bit that's came off and is stuck onto the plug away down in the hole.

How the problem lead looks (shows rubber bit is missing)

20190626_175630Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

And the rubber down in the hole stuck to the plug

20190626_175643Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

I need a pair of really long nosed pliers, but the kind that work in the opposite way to normal pliers (like the ones that you use to remove circlips so the ends open when you squeeze the handles) as I think that might be able to pull the rubber bit out.

Managed to make a hook using an  old CB ariel whip & got the bugger out! Rubber was all perished so I'm thinking the leads deffo need to go. Final new plug now in. Test drove........still doing it! :frantic:  Going to get the new leads ordered from Autolink (was intending to change all this anyways then pop her in for an oil/filters change to keep the service book stamped) so not too bothered about the cost of changing the plugs and leads. The diagnostic thingy from here >> http://www.mx5tech.co.uk/diagnostic.aspx?fbclid=IwAR16-p8pkCFLQKlspmB7mRn_IWQBNxEH2qbKNBGepUDDfg38kxVjlZdZeFE will hopefully arrive soon so I can get to the bottom of the problem. I'm thinking coil pack/MAF sensor/or maybe o2 sensor?

She's ok if your giving it large on the right pedal, only suffers coming out of tight twisties in low rpmlower speeds and driving through towns etc. Getting nice sun here too and can't get her out to enjoy it.

Number 4 lead could well be the cause of the misfire/hesitation ?

Once you have the code reader you can then decide how to proceed if replacing the HT leads doesn't cure your hesitation.

Older cars are always fun and games 😖

• Haha 1

Indeed! Would be more fun if it wasn't so damn nice outside today......really want to go for a blast! 😀

• Like 1

Tomorrow is promised to be a scorcher so fingers crossed you'll have the HT leads anon.....not forgetting the OBD 1 gadget.

• Like 1

So, new HT leads (in red) & new coil pack ordered today from Andrew at Autolink uk. Have to say what a really helpful guy on the phone! Hoping the bits come tomorrow. He suggested getting a ratchet spanner to make getting the bottom bolt out of the coilpack a bit quicker/easier, so been to Halfords and bought a set.

Weather is utterly amazing here just now (better than where we were last week in Gran Canaria!) so want Mindy on the road asap! So with mindy out of action, only one thing for it.........take my other modern classic out for the trip to halfords. DD (my Honda Civic Aerodeck) performed perfectly as always, so we went for a wee run. Forgot just how nice this car is to drive, and love the looks she gets when we're out and about.

• Like 1

New leads and coil pack fitted to Mindy........and shes driving sweet as a nut now! Fault cured!!

I did do a wee test on the coil pack by arcing the sockets individually which showed 1 and 4 had a very weak and very intermitent spark. 3 and 4 had a healthy spark.

Have to say though, amazing service from autolink, parts ordered Friday afternoon, arrived first thing Saturday morning! All fitted and Mindy running sweet as a nut now, fault cured! 

Big thanks to Gayle for helping me in the garage today, my hands were too big to get to the bottom bolt on the coil pack even with a ratchet spanner (bought these specially to do the job, only they are pants and won't ratchet when on the bolt!). Real swine to get to, but Gayle saved the day! Pic below showing Gayle with the offending bolt (and Mindy's nice new red HT leads!)

Gayle_with_offending_boltMazda_mx5_mk1.jpg

It's great having a wife who's such a wee petrol head and loves any chance to work on the car! msp_thumbup.gif Can report Mindy is now driving perfect, and a lot smoother than she's ever done.

• Like 1

Brilliant news Dave 😃  it was a tricky problem but you nailed the problem from the off.

Nothing would have changed without Gayle's magic touch 😇

Right.....it's time to start enjoying your topless redzer.

• Like 1

So, after much thought we decided we didn't like the tombstone seats we fitted. Only one thing for it then.........

Buy these for Mindy!

20190806_200145.jpg

Nice 2 tone black/red leather seats from another MX5. Apart from some very slight wear on the drivers bolster which we're going to have repaired locally, and needing a clean, these seats are pretty mint! Well chuffed with them and even the undersides (unlike the original bases on the tombstones which we had to swap which were rusty as hell) on these look like brand new.

20190806_200234.jpg

Got them for the bargain price of £70. Apart from afore mentioned slight bolster wear which appears to be just the colour that's worn off, there is no damage/tears or rips anywhere on them.The guy even threw in the matching red leather gear gator and handbrake gator. Really chuffed with these. Going to get them properly clean and then conditioned, then get the restorer to repaint the bolster. A very happy chappy! Can't wait for them to be ready to fit!

Suppose the good thing is from an originality point of view, they are the same as the original seats we took out, only in leather, so kinda more in keeping with the car.

The 2 tone tombstones look ace Dave  :)....selling your seats should ensure you're not out of pocket.

Are you taking on the bolster repair yourself ?......if anyone can do it you can.

IMHO  leather seats are a must in an open top car

Looks like you're going to have a nice enjoyable weekend fitting the seats and road testing 'em.....all ya need is some Sunny weather.

• Like 1