News Flash!
  • COMPETITION TIME!.......WIN a FREE Sonus Bluetooth hands free/MP3 player
  • CHANGE TO MEMBERS CARS SECTION. Please see Latest News

Where did you get that photo of me and Gayle lol. ? Have a great Christmas and New year folks! I'll be spending mine replacing the rear calipers on the mini as they went last night (again!) Bummer!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Dr_broon said:

Happy Christmas y'all! 

How come rear calipers are such a rubbish design?!? 

Mmm...Not sure about that if you refer to Mx5 ones.

TBH, owning 2 for 15 years as we do, never had issues with rear discs...but there is a reason in my opinion & experience.

In our cars, frankly rear discs are superfluous. Quality drums would be fine...but would look  krap and "unsporting" They do little braking effort work (about 20/25%) and don't like being ignored. I've always clicked the handbrake up when safe & in the dry every other week to get them shiny & toasty like the fronts, and lubed the sliders etc. People in the OC Club have scoffed at this theory. They are usually the ones who suffer jammed calipers & rusty inner discs, whereas my Mk1 rears are fine at 146,00 miles, and I only had to renew our 2002 Sport's last year at 98,000 miles. And that is in a car whose rear discs....are bigger than the fronts!

It was a tip I picked up years back from a guy ( engineer) in the Monza OC.

Edited by Oldspice
  • Like 2

Yeah, my MX5 rears are fine, although it had just had new rears fitted before we bought her. It's the ones on the 2008 mini cooper I have as a daily. They're the screw type pistons which are utter pants. Prone to seizing even on a car that's used every day. They went last year, totally wearing out the rear pads. Went to change the pads and sort the calipers only to find the piston was seized in the out position. Game over as I don't have the tool for winding them back in. Garage that rebuilt the calipers had a real headache getting the pistons out......and they have the proper BMW mini tools! Got two new ones ordered along with new pads. Pain in the ass but will need to be done. The mx5 is sitting waiting on standby incase I need a car, although Gayle's let me use her Focus just now while the mini is off the road. Bloody cars! Lol

Excellent tip Oldspice.   I too suffer from sticking rear calipers on occasion but nothing like the woes Aerodeck owners go through Simon.

Dave, I'd love to have a Mini Cooper S for a couple of weeks but I wouldn't like to own one long term.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong Gerry, I love having the MINI Cooper as my daily, it's such a fun wee car to drive and more practical than a lot of people think. Looking around, there isn't really anything else I would like as my daily to be honest, except maybe another 8th gen Civic TypeS. But then thats got the same issue as the MINI.......you can't really work on them yourself very easily. It's the biggest downside the MINI has, that and most of the parts cost a fortune to replace. Still love driving her though (or I will once these new calipers are fitted!!!) and still love the way she looks.

If you ever get the chance of a drive in one, deffo take it mate (not the latest ones though as they are no more a mini than a number 10 bus!). Think you'd enjoy it, extremely chuckable in the corners and quick enough to still have fun. More importantly, getting to my age, they are pretty comfy and easy to get in and out of. Visibility is second to none I'd say, perfect vision all round and a doddle to park anywhere!

True enough Dave.

Former GF of my son had some sort of supercharged version years back. She let me loose in it for around 20 minutes. It was bloody epic in every respect.

Way back in the late 70's, I put my company car Hillman Avenger in for a service, and they supplied one of the first ( I think) Honda Civics to hit the UK.

Suffice to say...for it's day...it was astonishing to see it rocket off the lights and see the tacho zip round to the limiter...with handling to match...and a decent radio cassette!

How loath was I to hand the keys back and go home in......the Hillman. It was bloody epic that wee car...relative to it's era.

That's the effect the Mini had on me. However, hers was an early one with the all the gearbox, PAS, and valve gear issues. It was a few days out of warranty and BMW would only go as far as 50/50 on a new head. I don't think a lot of people were too happy to discover the basic mill was a derivative of.....the repulsive Chrysler Neon Bag of Sh+T of all things.

I think BMW are well over all the krap now....they seem to be epic little cars. But really...the over sized Countrymans etc ought to be shot in the face.

• Like 1

Agree, what the heck is the point of the countryman? T doesn't look like a mini, is huge compared to one but is smaller than other mpvs.....just a pointless car much the same as the awful Fiat 500+.

The engine in mine is a joint Peugeot/BMW thing (didn't know that when I bought it) and BMW decided to change the timing chain side of things for their own (stupidly crap) design with plastic guides. These are prone to fail (hence first thing I had done was new timing chain, tensioners and guide) but even with a brand new guide etc the chain rattles it's nuts off. The valve gear in them is also noisy, as is the injectors! Very rough engines. Decent power mind, and the handling more than makes up for it! 

Had to laugh when you said you had a Hillman avenger! That was my first ever car, ran for the grand total of the drive home then never ran again!! Engine was gubbed! Bought it because my dad had one years before, which had been an awesome car, mine was nowhere near as good! Lol plan was to make it a tiger replica, but got rid of it to a bloke from Inverness who had a GLS version with a rotten shell but great running gear.