News Flash!
  • COMPETITION TIME!.......WIN a FREE Sonus Bluetooth hands free/MP3 player
  • CHANGE TO MEMBERS CARS SECTION. Please see Latest News
Sign in to follow this  
Gel

What do you miss in modern cars

Or what don't you miss ?

I miss a manual choke,  not sure why ?  maybe it was the intimate involvement I had with the engine.

• Like 1

Hmm, the one thing that stands out for me is the ability to fix them when they break! Even though the wee MX5 has an ECU, she is really simple to work on. My MINI on the other hand.........absolute nightmare to work on. Not very much I can do to it. Yesterday, noticed the heater isn't blowing hot air anymore. Thought right, thermostat must be gubbed. Easy to change that. Not so! Have to remove a lot of connectors from sensors all over the place, move a wiring harness, and thats just to get to it, deep down in the depths of the engine bay. Spoke to my local garage, and found it could be the water pump (electronically controlled ffs!), one of three sensors, or the thermostat! Oh, and usually pay around £20 to maybe £40 tops for one..........for the mini have top replace whole housing with thermostat! That'll be £114 please say/s Mr BMW MINI!

So deffo miss the simplicity of older modern classics.

Yes,  gone are the days of simplicity !  your modern Mini is a perfect example.  Hope you manage to identify the cause without too much hassle or expense.

Such a fault on your MX could be as simple as an adrift cable, 

I remember Inspector Morse telling his mechanic he only bought the Jag because he thought it was a pre-electric car.

The fella next door has a mini, and one day I saw him with half of the front end dismantled (he works for RAC so he's not shy of getting stuck in).. I can't remember for sure what it was for, but I'm sure that it was to change the water pump or something. ?

Whatever it was I couldn't believe how much work was needed to get to it. I remember saying that on the civic it would just be there, ready to go. ?

• Like 1

Exactly! Everything is a mare to get to on the mini! Seems luck is on my side for a change though! Turns out it was (fingers crossed) just an airlock in the cooling system. The mechanic at the garage bled the system and now she's toasty! I'll put the full story in her project thread.

End result? Cost £20 instead of £200, and that includes being on the diagnostic computer.

• Like 2

Totally Gerry, last thing I need at the moment is a hefty garage bill! Carly has drove perfect all weekend so seems that fix has worked. The Dave is a happy chappy again! :D

5 hours ago, Dougie said:

Character ?

Exactly! New cars are nice and all that, but they do lack character both design wise and driving wise!

• Like 1