News Flash!
  • COMPETITION TIME!.......WIN a FREE Sonus Bluetooth hands free/MP3 player
  • CHANGE TO MEMBERS CARS SECTION. Please see Latest News
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Another modern classic joining our family! Mk1 MX5

How do folks!

Looks like we'll be adding to our list of current cars! So far we have a 2008 MINI Cooper, 2008 Ford Focus and a 1999 Honda Civic Aerodeck. Lately my heads been in a bit of a dark place through pressures from work etc and I've been a bit down to say the least. Gayle (my mrs) suggested that I need a project to work on to help lift my spirits a bit, and suggested I get the one car I've always wanted since they were launched.......a mark 1 Mazda MX5!

I was at the car show in Glasgow secc when they did an unveiling of them back in 89/90 and the second the cover came off I fell in love with this cool looking little red sports car!

mazda_MX5_heroimg.JPG

For something so new it looked so retro (well, the design was inspired by the 1960's Lotus Elan)!

So been trying to decide what way to go, whether a full on restoration of a basket case or go for one with a solid base to start with. Looking at the price of non mot'd rusty ones, we quickly decided to try and get one that was mot'd and as rust free as possible. This would also make it easier to get it home!

So, went to look at one yesterday in Berwick - upon Tweed, but it had been badly bodged so would have spent more time redoing bad repairs. It had also apparently passed it's mot 3 days earlier, with plates welded on one sill that were coming off! Oh, and the battery was just loose in the boot, no bracket....but worst of all zero brakes! Only found that out on the test drive! So we walked away from it, as it was what I would call "gubbed"!

Have spotted another for sale in a garage, so hoping we'll go and see this one soon. A nice limited edition one this time, but looks really nice condition. (mind you, the last one looked good in the photos so I'll reserve judgement! One things for sure, we are deffo getting one, just a matter of finding the right one at the right price. Plan is to slowly replace suspension, brakes, and any other bits as we go along and bring it up to show standard. I still have the aerodeck to work on at some point but it's taking a back seat for a while.

Will let you all know how we get on and will get a project page going as soon as we get it!

Dave

• Like 1

The Mk1 MX5 can be a brilliant useable classic.  rusty rear sills and arches are the bogey to watch out for.....they rust from the inside out so may appear okay until you have a good rummage underneath.

Good luck with the hunt B|

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:03 AM, Gel said:

The Mk1 MX5 can be a brilliant useable classic.  rusty rear sills and arches are the bogey to watch out for.....they rust from the inside out so may appear okay until you have a good rummage underneath.

Good luck with the hunt B|

Yeah, have studied in depth the common faults on these (and there are a few!) so have been taking along the trusty fridge magnet along with other tools. Been to see another in a garage today, but again had already had poor sill/arch repairs done (although better hidden than the last one!) and had hole in bottom of front A pillar (hidden by front wing but I found it!! lol) and also pressed on a rusty looking bit on o/s inner wing and my finger went through. Not good. Enjoyed the short test drive though, it drove a lot better than the last one considering it had 166K on the clock! Way higher mileage than we're looking for although mechanicals can be replaced. Now going to up the budget and go chasing the better ones.

My friends daughter bought an M reg (I think it's a Mk2 ?) MX5 for £1500.....not alone is the back end rusted.........the front chassis rails also need replacing.

Sadly, she only found out about the terminal rust when she presented her car for servicing etc. several months after purchase.

Getting the best car you can afford is a starting point you'll not regret :)

Yes, saw the red one which is totally mint. I'm a member on there too. Out of my budget though that one, although it's worth every penny mate. The Harvard looks good too, went to see one identical to that about a week ago. It looked stunning in the pics, but when we went to see it it was a bit of a tea bag! Lots of perforations!

Saw one yesterday which turned out to be the worst car I've ever viewed in my life!! Absolutely rotten! Going to see what looks like a really clean one tomorrow not too far from here. Appears to have had a pampered life so fingers crossed this one is the one! Will report back tomorrow!

And we finally got one!! Meet Mindy, our MK1 MX-5. Picture was taken 5 mins after we arrived home, just as Gayle  pinched her so she could take our daughter for a spin! More details asap

20180817_135230.jpg

• Like 1

Where have I been going wrong all these years Gerry! Lol

So, got her all hoovered out and interior cleaned as she was pretty dirty. Just finished and went in the house and Gayle said "oh look, it's sunny! " which translated into the sun's out, time for a run in Mindy, top down!

Took her down the coast road for a wee spin but forgot my camera! So photos courtesy of my phone!

20180817_135230Mindy-MX5_001.jpgMindy-MX5_ (1).jpgMindy-MX5_ (2).jpgMindy-MX5_ (3).jpgMindy-MX5_ (6).jpg

I have the bestest Mrs ever! She was on eBay today and found a brand new hood for sale, managed to get it for £120! Going to drive up to Aberdeen tomorrow to collect it! The hood on Mindy is one thing that let the whole car down, as it is totally gubbed! Can't wait to get this new one fitted!

15 hours ago, Simon Brown said:

Looking good Dave! You've always Had an eye for one of those ey? 

You're going to need to build another Garage mind ??

Lol tell me about it! Carly Cooper is not amused having to now sleep in the garden! 

Yeah, wanted one of these since the day they were launched Simon. So glad to have found a half decent one, some of the others we seen were just bucket cases! Picked up the new hood with Gayle yesterday so chaping at the bit to get that fitted. 

Been out in garage again tonight (just this minute finished!). Was going to swap the two front wheels back to her originals then see about getting them balanced. Mrs came into garage and reckoned the Mini Cooper wheels looked better than the 5 spoke wheels she came with. After much debate, decided to swap her remaining two wheels for the mini wheels to see how she looked. The 5 spokes are 14 inch, and the mini wheels are 15's so after fitting, have to agree with the mrs that the mini wheels look a bit better. They also have decent tyres (two fronts are almsot brand new Avons, the rears are Continential's but these need changed soon, so will stick another two Avons on there as I've found them to be really decent tyres.) So, Mindy rocking her new temp wheels......

Mindy_mx5_9.jpgMindy_mx5_10.jpg

Blanked out the "MINI" logo on the centre caps so they look better. Do think these look better being 15's, and kind resemble the early Mk1's daisy wheels. Only a temp measure until we get brand new wheels for her.

Also, a pic of the new hood Gayle got for her, which we're fitting tomorrow.

Mindy_mx5_11_newhood.jpg

Also took a couple of the interior as I didin't have any interior shots before. Shows the Pioneer head unit I've fitted so i can plug my phone into it to play my music. Again, will be getting changed at a later date for either my Pioneer double din touch screen unit (will do the double din dash conversion) or another new Pioneer with bluetooth, usb etc. Oh, and I've taken out ashtray from the centre console so my phone has somewhere to sit.

Mindy_mx5_12_interior.jpg

Mindy_mx5_13_interior2.jpg

Also found a how to guide for adjusting the pop up headlight covers, so they are now sitting nice and flush with the bonnet. Just my ocd kicking in again! lol Hoping the replacing of the hood goes ok tomorrow, will get some more pics up when it's done. Loving working on this wee car so far!

So, today Gayle and me have been busy! Started with removing the old (and totally gubbed) hood and prepping the car ready to fit the brand new hood. After some time, the old hood was off!

newest (1)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

Generally pretty dirty in there after carpet and hood removed. Next we inspected the drain pots (the containers where the rainwater from the drain channel collects before going out down the drain tubes.

Drivers side, really grubby, lots of crap and stuff built up there.

newest (2)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

Passenger side not quite as bad, but still dirty

newest (3)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

We cleaned out both sides, then the actual drain tubes themselves. Gayle found the perfect tool for cleaning out the drain channel around the bottom of the hood.....and old make up brush and the vaccum cleaner! Pose with the tool dear! That's it, perfect! lol

newest (5)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

The tubes were surprisingly clean and clear! Hardly anything at all in them, and both appear to be perfectly clear. Next we cleaned the whole rear area. Could have left as is seeing as it can't be seen once carpet goes in, but I'm OCD about these things! Plus the black metal can be seen once hood is in place but isn't easily cleaned then so though do it now before fitting and it'll make the whole finished job look so much nicer.

newest (4)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

Yes, I cleaned and polished it! lol We then stopped for a tea brake and to get ready for fitting the hood and putting the car back together again.

And then, all fitted, the finished result...

newest (6)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

newest (7)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

newest (9)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

Pics of Gayle and me, suitably proud of our handy work.

newest (11)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

newest (10)Mindy-MX5_Replacing _hood.jpg

Can't believe the difference this has made to the look and feel of the car. Really smartened her up, and no more drafts/gaffer tape/leaks. Took her for a spin afterwards as a wee reward, and to see what she was like with her 4 Mini alloys. Drove nice, and felt quite cosy inside now with the new hood. Still got some vibration through suspension, but nowehre near as bad now so that's a result. Will be getting her up on a 4 post ramp soon so I can check out the bushes/drop links/shocks/springs and anything else under there and replace whatever's needed. Hope you like! ?

• Like 1

So, spent yesterday cleaning Mindy's Engine bay. It was pretty grubby when we bought her, and it's the one thing I hate.....a dirty engine and engine bay! Went to Halfords and bought my product of choice, Gunk. Been using it for years and have yet to find anything that gets rid of the grime as good as this. Once it was all cleaned and rinsed off, dried the engine bay then used G3 compound to restore the pain on the inner wings etc, then polished with Meguires polish. Did all the black plastics with autoglym plastic and bumper restorer. Quite chuffed with how she looks in there now, much better than before. Got a few wee cuts while trying to get into the tighter areas so will at some point remove various bits around the bay for better access then go in there again with the polish.

Mindy_MX5_Engine_Bay_cleaned.jpg

Decided to replace a couple of the exhaust rubbers at the rear as the back box was knocking off the subframe. Not surprised going by the state of the rubbers! The photo shows the one that was the worst! Hate folk doing bodges like this one something that only costs a couple of quid. Just replace it god damn it!

20180906_193956Mindy-MX5_Refurb-ashtray.jpg

When I bought her, I removed the ashtray from the centre console as the ashtray itself was grubby and well worn. Also wanted somewhere to put my phone, and thought as I don't smoke, and with the state of it, it couldn't really be used as a wee storage compartment. Decided I hated the look of the centre console with it removed, so decided to refurb it!

Below: as it was before refurb, all rusty and 'orrible! ?

20180908_141751Mindy-MX5_Refurb-ashtray.jpg

And the console with it removed

20180908_145152Mindy-MX5_Refurb-ashtray.jpg

So, sanded it all back, rust treated the metal, and etch primed followed by respraying it in gloss black (did want satin black but didn't have any in the garage). Also removed the metal cigarette holder bit. Then decided that to stop objects sliding about/rattling, I'd trim the interior of the in material. Done it in red to match the exterior of the car.

The balck metal now nice and shiney like new again!

20180908_145311Mindy-MX5_Refurb-ashtray.jpg

Also sanded and painted the metal cig holder, and used it to stop anything small sliding to the rear of the compartment.20180908_145338Mindy-MX5_Refurb-ashtray.jpg

All done

20180908_145601Mindy-MX5_Refurb-ashtray.jpg

In other news, picked up a pair of the high back Eunos seats (cloth) with the built in speakers. Don't like the current ones which have the separate headrests. Again, my Mrs Gayle is the queen of Ebay, as most pairs of seats were over £100. These were advertised for £50, but she still haggled and got them for £40! Even better, they were only a 30 min drive away, so we braved the torrential rain and stormy winds here last night to go and pick them up! We're going to have them retrimmed in black leather before fitting them. Not sure if we are going for red centre panels on the seats, or just go subtle with all black but with red stitching and possibly red piping? What's your thoughts?

Your work is excellent as per usual.  red stitching and piping would be my choice ....whatever rocks your boat.....on second thoughts red inserts may be best considering Mindy has a black roof ?

• Like 1

So, got a question regarding imobilizers! Mindy has this wierd key fob type imobilizer fitted. Not sure if it's made by Mazda or if it's an aftermarket one? Any idea?

This is the bit on the dash. Has a flashing red led, and a round outer metal bit and a seperate inner round metal bit.

1. imobilizer-on-dash.jpg

And this is the fob on the keyring. Unless you touch the metal part on it to the metal part on the dash, the car won't start. All you get is ignition lights, car doesn't even turn over.

2. imobilizer-fob.jpg3. imobilizer-fob2.jpg

Oh, and a sneaky peak at Mindy's new keyring! lol

Not sure if this imobilizer has a make on it as can't see any logo/manufacturer name on it or the fob. I might have to take of the bit of dash it's fixed to as there seems to be some kind of box/module inbehind it. Just want to know as there's only one fob came with the car, so would like to get a spare one for the spare keys I got cut (she only came with one key).

Any joy with the imobilizer issue ?        Fingers crossed you soon have 2 working sets of keys :)

Yeah, shortly after taking that photo, the immobilizer packed in Gerry! Had no way of starting her, the fob wouldn't do anything!! ? Did some searching on mx5 owners club and found that it's made by Cobra, so a well respected bit of kit. Ordered a new fob (which didn't arrive and when I emailed company they just issued an immediate refund, no explanation or owt!) but you need a working fob to be able to program the new one! 

I decided to take the fob to bits, see if there was anything obviously wrong with it. Low and behold, one leg of the chip which attaches to the outer part of the metal bit in the photo had come away. Luckily I'm pretty trick with the soldering iron (Was repairing cb radios and stuff at 15 yrs old to make pocket money) so 10 mins and all resoldered. Now working fine. I've found another supplier so going to order a new one asap.

Yeah, Cobra is as good as it gets Dave.....You were definitely snookered if hadn't managed to mend the only fob you have....don't ya just love cars that lend themselves to mending.....good luck with the alternative supplier.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gel said:

Yeah, Cobra is as good as it gets Dave.....You were definitely snookered if hadn't managed to mend the only fob you have....don't ya just love cars that lend themselves to mending.....good luck with the alternative supplier.

Exactly Gerry! The reason I love old cars and modern classics so much, you can actually fix em! Enjoy working on the MX-5, find it fun!

lol Nope Gerry! Just done a road trip today to Falkirk to buy a hood/tonneau cover for her. Sun was out but cold, so top down all the way!  Pics and update in Members Cars B|

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gel said:

You must be as hard as nails to go topless in this weather xD

Nahhh, just nuts! Lmao :D